European Development Co-operation to 2020 - The EU as an answer to global challenges?
By Sven Grimm
Briefing Paper No. 1 - August 2008
To download the full publication
click here (1,3 MB)
The world is changing and so is Europe's weight in global politics. Europe started its integration process in the area of economic co-operation and chose trade as the functional entry point for the broader aim of peace in Europe. Nowadays, challenges for Europeans are beyond their continent and beyond the Eruopean nation states.
EU citizens are aware of global challenges and see a role for the Union in external relation, as polls show. But it remains contested how Europe can respond.
Challenges are particularly evident in the area of development co-operation and external relations more broadly. This paper outlines some broader challenges and opportunities for European development policy to 2020.
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 15: Climate change challenges for European Development Cooperation: issues towards 2020
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 14: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 13 - The New Landscape Of Economic Governance - Strengthening the Role of Emerging Economies
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 12: International Public Finance to Address Climate Change in Indonesia – Lessons for the Future of European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 12: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for the Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 10: European Good Governance Policies Meet China in Africa: Insights from Angola and Ethiopia
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No. 10: The Challenge from Within: New EU Donors and European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 11: Climate Finance in Indonesia: Lessons for the Future of Public Finance for Climate Change Mitigation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 9: The EU’s Interests in Central Asia: Integrating Energy, Security and Values Into Coherent Policy
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No.6: European Development Cooperation to 2020: Rising Powers and New Global Challenges
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No. 6 - International Climate Finance: Principles for European Support to Developing Countries
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 7 - Emerging Non-State Actors in Global Development: Challenges for Europe