European Development Co-operation to 2020: The issues
By Sven Grimm with Simon Maxwell, Leo Peskett and Richard Youngs
Working Paper No. 1 - June 2008
This paper provides an initial contribution to the research programme of European Development Co-operation to 2020 (EDC 2020). The paper starts with the assumption that thinking about the future of development will have to start from the outside, i.e. identifying global challenges and finding answers to them, much rather than focussing on internal compromises.
- What happens if we meet most of the MDGs and what happens if we do not?
- We should further differentiate among partner countries as the group of developing countries becomes increasingly diverse.
- We need to address the issue of the international aid architecture and division of labour.
- We will have to work continuously on policy coherence (for development) in the policy mix towards developing countries.
EDC2020 includes three topics in its research agenda that cover different parts of the broader agenda outlined in the first section of the paper. The issues are:
- New actors in international development
- Development policy, energy security and democracy
- Development and climate change
The paper outlines the relevance of these issues for development policy and identifies the questions that EDC2020 will examine in order to provide policy advice to decision-makers. Interlinkages between the different work strands are obvious and the research programme itself will ulitmately benefit from thematic cross-fertilisation.Many signs point to the EU as a potential part of the answer to global challenges, if it manages to use its advantages. Policy advice based on evidence should contribute to better preparing this important global actor for future development challenges.
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 15: Climate change challenges for European Development Cooperation: issues towards 2020
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 14: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 13 - The New Landscape Of Economic Governance - Strengthening the Role of Emerging Economies
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No 12: International Public Finance to Address Climate Change in Indonesia – Lessons for the Future of European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 12: Climate Finance in Bangladesh: Lessons for the Development Cooperation and Climate Finance at National Level
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No. 10: The Challenge from Within: New EU Donors and European Development Cooperation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 11: Climate Finance in Indonesia: Lessons for the Future of Public Finance for Climate Change Mitigation
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 9: The EU’s Interests in Central Asia: Integrating Energy, Security and Values Into Coherent Policy
- EDC 2020 - Policy Brief No.6: European Development Cooperation to 2020: Rising Powers and New Global Challenges
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No. 6 - International Climate Finance: Principles for European Support to Developing Countries
- EDC 2020 - Working Paper No 7 - Emerging Non-State Actors in Global Development: Challenges for Europe